This is a “Project” position designed to support project work for a limited duration. While the exact duration of the project is yet to be determined, we currently anticipate a period of 3-5 years based on business needs at the present time following which you will separate from the Company. It is important for you to understand that this period may be shortened based on business needs in the future at which point you will separate from the Company. It is also important for you to understand that this employment is of a limited duration and that you will not be entitled to separation benefits under any PSEG plan at the time you separate from the Company. Director Level approval and waiver will be required for you to bid on other PSEG opportunities within the first 3 years of assignment. From year 4 through the end of your assignment, Director level approval and waiver will not be required. If your assignment ends prior to the anticipated timeframe based on business needs, you will be allowed to bid on other PSEG opportunities without Director level approval from the time you are notified your assignment will be ending through the end date of the assignment.
This is a multi-level position (Grade Level 29/30). The title, grade level and incentive target assigned to the successful candidate will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and skill level as determined through the interview process.
Note – The reporting location for this position will be the General Office, Newark, NJ.
This position is in the DP&C organization and will act as a key contributor to the successful execution of Horizontal Directional Drill (HDD) and Utility Transmission and Distribution projects for both Electric and Gas. Manages PSE&G’s Horizontal Directional Drill (HDD) projects; and acts as the construction coordinator and point of contact (POC) for the DP&C Construction Organization with other DP&C Project Managers for activities and support during construction of other utility projects as assigned. The position provides overall project management, oversight and coordination of all associated activities for the successful completion of Horizontal Directional Drill (HDD) projects from concept through placing facilities in service (ie., from cradle to grave including but not limited to design engineering, contingency planning, permitting, procurement, outreach, and construction). HDD projects may include the construction of electric transmission and distribution and natural gas facilities and infrastructure (ie., conduit, cable, pipelines, mains, etc.).
The successful candidate will achieve the desired results of the Delivery Projects and Construction organization through the strict adherence of the DP&C Process’ and Procedures’, PSE&G Standards and the use of PSEG Values and Behavioral Standards, sound management practice, skills and a total commitment to teamwork. The candidate shall support the DP&C in accomplishing the desired scorecard results and ensure the quality and quantity of work performed is in compliance with Company standards and procedures, safe work practices, and government laws and regulations. Focus’ on measurement of results and familiarity with the use of a balanced scorecard methodology.
Major duties and responsibilities:
Responsible and fully accountable for the full life-cycle management of multiple large multi-discipline HDD projects from time of assignment to commissioning, close-out, and turnover to the client and/or customer. Coordinates and manages the entire construction process in order to successfully complete projects within scope, on schedules and budget. Ensures that project objectives are successfully achieved safely, environmentally compliant and within scope, schedule and budget adherence. Demonstrates strong leadership skills in successfully managing project teams. Leads project teams commensurate with project needs. Promotes close and effective integration of efforts between diverse groups on projects. Conducts periodic review meetings, resolves issues, manages change orders and gets required associates and groups involved to ensure that the project plans are professionally and comprehensively planned and executed. Maintains and monitors project agreements, plans and schedules, conducts project reviews, resolves issues and gets required associates and groups involved to ensure that the assigned projects are professionally and comprehensively planned and executed.
Internal responsibilities and interfaces include management and supervision of a project team of professionals assigned on a project basis, responsible for project management protocols including record research, mark-ups (red-line) drawings, project files and the maintenance of a Delivery wide master database with detailed information on all HDD projects. Coordinates the preparation of bid specifications for the procurement of material, equipment and services. Manages contractor and vendor performance, labor relations, safety, quality control, project risk, permitting and licensing, outage planning, scope change control, environmental compliance, public relations, progress reporting, budgets, execution and closeout reporting. Represents the Company in meetings with State and Federal Agencies, the General Public and Public Officials and Planning/Zoning Boards and other Regulatory bodies, including testimony, as required, to gain necessary project approvals. Maintains and applies working knowledge of PSEG Standards for Business Controls and Standards of Integrity.
In addition to the above, this position will be responsible for acting as Construction Coordinator, and the point of contact (POC) for the DP&C Construction Organization with other DP&C Project Managers (PMs). As such, this position will ensure the coordination of support provided by the DP&C Construction Organization. The Project Managers will maintain the overall responsibility and accountability for their assigned projects. This position will assist and support the Project Managers with activities associated with and provided by the DP&C Construction Organization. Significant duties and responsibilities are as follows:
Works with the PMs to ensure that the proper skill set and level of expertise from the DP&C Construction Organization is assigned to each project.
Conducts periodic project construction support meetings with DP&C PMs to determine and clearly identify needs, coordinate activities, schedule resources, assess status and take appropriate corrective action.
Communicates PM needs and requirements with the appropriate DP&C Construction Organization entities to schedule the resources and support to be provided.
Monitors the capacity of all entities in the DP&C Construction Organization. Identifies potential conflicts, resource shortages and recommends corrective action as appropriate.
- Candidate must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity
- Successful candidate must demonstrate and value differences in others’ strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
- As an employee of (PSE&G or PSEG LI), you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
- PSEG is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status
Essential Job Competencies:
- BS in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Proven HDD Project management with a minimum of Three (3) years of experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of HDD construction-related processes, engineering and design.
- Working knowledge of applicable safety codes, environmental regulations and statutes, and applicable practices and procedures.
- Proven management experience in the HDD and other trenchless technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in computer use and applications. Knowledgeable of standard business computer applications, i.e., MS Word, Excel, Office Suite, etc.
- Will be included in the Distribution Emergency Response Center (DERC) on-call coverage, accepting call-out obligations as may be required.
- Everyone in DP&C is considered to be in a Critical Position that is Essential to the Business. As such all DSP&C associates are responsible for responding storms, system emergencies, natural disasters, etc., when deemed necessary by Senior Management.
- Safety Sensitive position due to the possibility of working on Natural Gas systems and facilities. As a result, will be subject to DOT random drug testing.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- MS in Engineering, Project Management, Business Administration (MBA) or equivalent experience.
- Experience in utility operations, construction or management, estimating, project controls and supervisory experience.
- Advanced computer application knowledge, i.e. Primavera, Microsoft Project or some other CPM/scheduling software.
- Experience with DWMS, SAP (FICO and PS) and GIS.
- Knowledge and management of craft labor through the use of Collective Bargaining Unit agreements, ie., AFL CIO, IBEW, OPEIU, etc.
- PMP (Project Management Professional) certification.
- Professional Engineers License (preferably in the state of New Jersey).
To apply, click here