Trenchless Technology is here to help. This special Sponsored Content section presents you with answers to some questions you may when it comes to tackling your upcoming jobs, whether it’s how to approach a point repair or what you should consider when purchasing various new equipment. The companies participating in this How to Guide share their expertise on how their products/services can get the job done faster, save money, keep crews safe or solve a customer challenge.
- Install the rubber sleeve with the printing facing up at the top and the top edge of the seal lined up with any previously applied alignment marks.
- Wipe off the outside of one stainless steel band and apply a moderate coating of band lubricant to the slot area and a light to moderate coating to the remainder of the bands outside surface. Either the top band or the smaller band, if two different sized bands are being used, is to be installed first.
- Install the band in the appropriate band recess with the slotted end against the rubber surface. Position the expansion tool as shown below and expand the band until the locking tabs pop into the tightest slots possible. To ensure proper tightness, stop expanding and let the seal “relax” for 30 to 60 seconds and then try to tighten again to the next set of slots. Once the band is fully tightened, loosen the expansion tool slowly until the tabs are fully engaged in the slots, and then continue to loosen and remove the tool. When installing a larger diameter band, use one of the auxiliary tool slots to start the expansion process. Move one leg of the tool to the primary tool slot if necessary, to complete expansion.
- Lubricate the second band and install it in the other band recess, attach the tool and expand as before, keeping the bands parallel. The seal may be adjusted up or down as required for minimum or maximum chimney coverage or if excessive sleeve expansion is required.
- A third band is required sometimes for seals over 12”. When a third band is used, lubricate, and install band in the recess in the center of seal and expand as before so it is snug.
- Check the top and the bottom edges of the installed sleeve to ensure that they have been properly compressed against the surfaces.